Traffic, Ticket & Bylaw Cases

The Provincial Court has legal authority (“jurisdiction”) in all traffic and bylaw offences, as well as all other provincial and municipal offences prosecuted under the Offence Act and the Local Government Act. Many of these offences are prosecuted by way of a violation ticket or municipal ticket information.

Judicial Justices generally hear these cases. The judicial justice will explain and guide the hearing process but cannot give you legal advice.

Ticket and municipal bylaw matters are the most informal proceedings in Provincial Court. You can conduct your own hearing to dispute a traffic ticket for infractions like running a red light, speeding or parking violations, or bylaw offences like walking a dog without a leash.

The questions below deal with procedures for Provincial Violation Tickets and Federal Contravention Tickets. Watch for additional information on Municipal Ticket Informations – coming soon.

How do I pay a ticket?
If you admit the offence and want to pay the fine indicated on the ticket see Pay a Provincial Violation Ticket or Pay a Federal Contravention Ticket.

How do I dispute a ticket?
Check the ticket for instructions on how to dispute it. You must file a Notice of Dispute within thirty days of getting your ticket. Be sure to provide your complete mailing address. You’ll receive a Notice of Hearing in the mail, although this may take several months.

What if I only want to dispute my fine?
If you agree that you committed the offence, but just want to dispute the amount of the fine, say so on your Notice of Dispute and fill out a Violation Ticket Statement and Written Reasons, giving reasons to have the fine reduced and asking for time to pay your fine. A judicial justice will review your reasons and make a decision. You will not have to come to court if you fill out and send in this form.

What if I move before I get my Notice of Hearing?
If you change your address after you filed the Notice of Dispute and before you get the Notice of Hearing, complete a Change of Address form and send it to the Violation Ticket Center at the address on the form. Changing your address with ICBC and the Motor Vehicle Branch is not enough. If you change your address after getting the Notice of Hearing, send the form to the Violation Ticket Centre and to the Court.

What if I can’t come to court on the date of the hearing?
Complete and send in an Application to Adjourn a Hearing as soon as you can. Explain in detail on the form why you can’t come to court on the scheduled date. Don’t delay. Last minute requests may not succeed.

More information
Our Guide to Disputing a Ticket answers these and other questions in more detail. It also offers information on how to prepare for and conduct your hearing in court.

See too: