Judicial Council consists of nine members, as designated by section 21(2) of the Provincial Court Act. The Chief Judge is the presiding member or chair, with an Associate Chief Judge as alternate presiding member. If there are two or more Associate Chief Judges, the Lieutenant Governor in Council designates which Associate Chief Judge is the alternate. Effective July 1, 2010, Associate Chief Judge G. Gill is the alternate presiding member.
The Attorney General also appoints four lay members. Currently, these positions are filled by Judicial Justice P. Schwartz; K. Kirkpatrick and L. MacLean, Q.C.
The remaining members of the Judicial Council, as provided by section 21(2) of the Provincial Court Act, are the president of the Provincial Court Judges Association, the president (or a designate) of the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association, and a lawyer appointed by the Law Society of BC. These three positions are held by Judge L. Mrozinski, D. Crawford and J. Lindsay, Q.C.
The Judicial Council's process is governed by a Procedure Bylaw which was adopted March 23, 2001.
The object of the Judicial Council is to improve the quality of judicial service. Its statutory mandate includes:
- screening candidates applying for appointment as Judges and Judicial Justices; as well as screening retired judges' applications for reappointments.
- conducting inquiries regarding the conduct of Judges and Judicial Justices; Complaints;
- considering proposals for improving the judicial services of the Court;
- continuing the education of Judges and organizing conferences of Judges;
- preparing and revising, in consultation with the Judges, a Code of Ethics for the judiciary - the Code of Judicial Ethics and the Justice of the Peace Code of Ethics (PDF -download acrobat reader);
- reporting to the Attorney General on matters which the Attorney General considers necessary.
Read the Chief Judge’s August 3, 2012 letter to the President of the Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch, and the President of the Law Society of British Columbia, re Diversity in the Provincial Court of British Columbia.
The Judicial Council issues an Annual Report outlining its activities for the period covered.
- Judicial Council Annual Report 2012
- Judicial Council Annual Report 2011
- Judicial Council Annual Report 2009, 2010
- Judicial Council Annual Report 2007, 2008
- Judicial Council Annual Report 2004, 2005, 2006
- Judicial Council Annual Report 2002 & 2003
- Judicial Council Annual Report 1999, 2000, 2001
- Judicial Council Annual Report 1996, 1997, 1998
(PDF - download acrobat reader)