Small Claims Cases

See COVID19 and Notice NP19 for changes in procedures as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. Small claims settlement and trial conferences are being held by telephone, audio- or video-conference. See Virtual conferences and hearings (by phone or video). Short small claims appearances are being held by telephone.

What types of dispute can you bring to Small Claims court?
Whether you can bring a case to Small Claims court in the Provincial Court of BC depends on the dollar value of the claim and its subject.

Dollar value
The BC Provincial Court’s Small Claims Court generally deals with cases involving from $5,001 to $35,000.

Claims for up to $5,000 must usually be taken to the online Civil Resolution Tribunal (CRT). In addition, many claims for up to $50,000 arising from motor vehicle accidents must be taken to the CRT. However, Provincial Court may deal with motor vehicle accident cases and cases under $5001 in certain circumstances.

Aside from cases that must be taken to the CRT, claims for more than $35,000 generally go to the BC Supreme Court. You can make a claim for more than $35,000 in Small Claims Court, but if you do you must abandon the amount over $35,000. A Provincial Court judge cannot award you more than $35,000 plus interest and expenses (although contractual interest may be included in the $35,000 limit). For more on this, see Can I bring a dispute for more than $35,000 to Small Claims Court?


Claims brought to Small Claims Court must involve:

  • debt or damages
  • recovery of personal property or opposing claims to person property
  • performance of agreements about personal property or services.

Small Claims Court does not have the power to deal with:

  • issues related to motor vehicle accidents (with some exceptions)
  • the rights and obligations of strata owners, tenants, and strata corporations (though some orders in this regard may be enforced in Provincial Court)
  • an interest in land
  • personal property security
  • bankruptcies
  • trademarks
  • wills and estates
  • libel and slander
  • malicious prosecution
  • residential tenancy (though Residential Tenancy Branch orders may be enforced in Provincial Court)
  • almost all builders' lien matters, and
  • lawsuits against the federal government.

For cases involving subjects that can’t be brought to Provincial Court, see the websites of the BC Supreme Court, Civil Resolution Tribunal, Residential Tenancies BC, or the Federal Court of Canada.

The procedures followed in Small Claims cases depend on the amount of money involved and the court location :

This website provides general information only and should not be used as legal advice.

Updated or reviewed April 2019