Complaints and Appeals

Judicial independence and the rule of law depend on the public having trust in their courts and judges. Judicial accountability is essential to that trust. Judges are accountable through appeals of their decisions to higher courts and through supervisory processes for misconduct.

However, the law provides different processes for appeals and complaints.

If you believe a judge or judicial justice decided your case wrongly, you may be able to appeal or apply for judicial review to a higher court. The Chief Judge of the Provincial Court cannot change the outcome of a ruling or decision, order a new trial, or overturn a decision. Only a higher court can do those things.

If you believe the conduct of a judge, judicial justice, judicial case manager or justice of the peace was unacceptable, you send a written complaint to the Chief Judge. The Chief Judge follows procedures set out in the Provincial Court Act to examine and respond to your complaint.

There are time limits for filing appeals. There are not time limits for filing a complaint. It is important to recognize that difference and use the correct process.

For more information, see:

Appealing the decision of a judge or judicial justice

Complaining about the conduct of a judge, judicial justice or justice of the peace.