Sometimes a Provincial Court judge may make a decision that a litigant feels is wrong. In our justice system, the process for rectifying judicial errors is by way of appeal or judicial review to a higher court (in this province, the Supreme Court of B.C. or the B.C. Court of Appeal).

Judicial review of Provincial Court decisions is made in Supreme Court, under the Judicial Review Procedure Act , Supreme Court Civil Rules, and Supreme Court Family Rules. Appeals of small claims and family cases are made to the Supreme Court, as are appeals of summary conviction matters under the Criminal Code.

Indictable criminal matters heard in Provincial Court are appealed to the B.C. Court of Appeal.

For information on how to file an appeal, consult a lawyer or contact your local court registry.